Sunday, March 22, 2015

Awake

speaking of clouds...

Each Sunday evening I tidy the house and make certain the laundry is washed, folded, and put away.  Jeffrey makes the lunches, and we both iron our clothes for the next day.  He does pants and I do shirts.  When all is ready for a peaceful Monday morning, I sit down for a quiet hour or two.  Since I discovered Brain Pickings weekly newsletter by Maria Popova, I inevitably spend a few hours learning, thinking, mulling, pondering... What better way to begin a new week?

This week, Popova asked, "But how does one become fully awake to the world, especially in our world, through which we increasingly sleepwalk on autopilot, in a trance of productivity? How awake are we, really, when we've stopped bowling over in awe at the everyday miracle of clouds?"

My brain began to hum as I read and reread that sentence.  I'll take that challenge.  I've written before about noticing.  I've written about ordinary miracles.  I've written about people being more important than productivity.  And, as I read Popova's sentence, I thought, "Yes."  Time to notice more. Time to stand in awe at ordinary miracles.  So, this week, I'll be back every day recording an ordinary miracle.  Won't you join me?  



5 comments:

amelia said...

You're right--a splendid way to start the week . . .

Mac n' Janet said...

Great way to start you week, looking forward to your "miracles".

Sally Wessely said...

Her words are so profound, and yet so very simple. I am caught up in the world of productivity while miracles swirl around me. Time to wake up!

Hindsfeet said...

I love this.....i really love this quote, Relyn.....thank you for this tonight.....

~Elizabeth

Marilyn Miller said...

Yes, noticing "ordinary miracles" is the best.

Oldies, but Goodies