Saturday, September 14, 2013

Saturday afternoon...

It's been a perfect day.  The week was long and difficult; fraught with tensions, frustrations, and difficulties.  Oh, but today...



I woke this morning to an email the sender intended to be insulting, but was instead, freeing.  It gave my family a good laugh as I breathed a sigh of relief.  So, there we were, all three of us, at 8:00 this morning, snuggling on the bed with an entire, empty, delicious day in front of us.  Jeffrey suggested we drive in to town for chicken biscuits at Chick-fil-A. (This might not seem very out of the ordinary to you, but we live about 40 minutes from those delicious biscuits, and make a general, frugal habit of going to town only when we really need to.) We all grinned at each other, slipped on some shoes and went.  No hair styling, no make up, no outfits.  Just us - headed out together for an out-of-the ordinary breakfast.  

We had our breakfast then went to the music store to get Sloane equipped for her first day of band.  She's playing the clarinet.  I love the clarinet!  We've been home ever since.  I spent most of the day, except for a delicious two hour nap, sitting on the sofa reading A Fine Romance by Susan Branch. It's a delightful book; perfect like a long nap on a deep couch in a pretty room.

Just now Jeffrey and Sloane are waiting outside for me.  We're headed to a conservation area to hike and watch the bats come out.

A perfect day.  sigh.  Just what my tired spirit needed.
Happy weekend, friends.  I hope today brings you just what you need, too.

15 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

It was a busy, but good day with visits with my sister and then an aunt. Now packing and getting ready to spend a week at Lincoln City in my robe with some books and popcorn.
Love the book you are reading. I will read that one again.

zooperson said...

I just love that book too. What fun to have a day where whatever you want to do, you can do.

Jeanne said...

Love and hugs and have a Soulful Sunday today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Love Jeanne

S. Etole said...

I like how you chose the response to your day and what a joy it was for all of you.

Mac n' Janet said...

Sorry to hear you've had a "snark" email, you write such a wonderful blog I can only guess that envy wrote the email.
Your day sounds perfect.
We too live out of town and plan our town visits.

Cait O'Connor said...

Your day does sound perfect. I shall look up the book you recommend, thank you.

Claire said...

Happy weekend, lovely! Blessings abound.

alexa said...

So glad your day was lovely after the week you had and hope the next week is a lot better.

Debby said...

Glad that today turned out like it did. Good luck for Sloane and her clarinet.

Roban said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful and good for Sloane for being music-minded. Hannah took band for a year but didn't enjoy it. Now she's taking piano in school but still wishes she had stayed with music years ago. Oh, and those biscuits are yummy. Worth a trip now and then for sure!

Tracy said...

Sweet... sooo sweet! It's wonderful when a rough week ends on such a high note. :o) Happy Days, Relyn ((HUGS)) P.S. I’M needing to take an extended digital sabbatical due to health issues. But I hope to be around when I can.

amelia said...

That does sound like a perfect day!

Now, here's hoping (and praying) for a better week . . .

joyce said...

That does sound like a perfect day...and I love the way an "empty delicious day" sounds! Great choice of words. Chick-fil-A...that made me laugh too. And we live 15 minutes from town and still only go when we need to, which is a lot less now that our kids are no longer in school and various other activities.

GraceGal said...

I had a no makeup, no hairstyle day today. It felt so comforting to read this post. Many of my weeks have been tough recently and I appreciate laughter and relaxing with a good book days. Thanks for sharing.

Sandy K. said...

Isn't it lovely to have unexpected and delight-filled days? We do need to find them more often! Loved your post!

Oldies, but Goodies