Tuesday, September 25, 2012

biscuits and memories


Just thinking of my Grandpa Chrisner makes me smile.  He died when I was 18 years old, and after 23 years I can still see the sparkle in his eyes when he's about to pull one over on you.  I can still hear his raspy voice and the way he would quietly smack his lips two times before he commenced to tellin' a story.  I can still see his grin when his family would tease him about his infatuation with Dolly Parton. I remember the utter freedom I always felt exploring his overgrown backyard with my Texas cousins. I remember the awe I felt at Grandpa's generosity when he would insist my Dad take the fifty to go down and buy 5 hamburgers, knowing he'd refuse the change.

Every morning Grandpa would make biscuits to go with breakfast.  He'd always be sure to make too many so there would be lots left over.  Then, all day long we'd come in from playing in the hot Texas sun and eat a cold biscuit with the peanut butter and syrup he'd mixed up just for us.  There's no better way to eat a biscuit.

The older I get, the more my Dad reminds me of Grandpa.    He has the same crazy, fly-away eyebrows his father did.  And, just like his Dad, he loves to fill your belly or stock your fridge.  He listens to and enjoys Sloane in the same way his father listened to all of us.  Like my grandpa, he gets a lot of pleasure in watching his family having fun.

Last Saturday morning when I woke up, Jeffrey told me he had breakfast ready for me.

It was cold biscuits with peanut butter and syrup. 

My husband never met my Grandpa, but but he knows my Dad and he knows the stories.  And he loves me the same way: with a mixture of care-taking and doting and sit-back-and-watch-her-go pride.  I am a woman surrounded past and present by wonderful men.  I've been so blessed.


Grandpa and Grandma Chrisner in the early 1930s.

15 comments:

Amy said...

I bet our grandpas are up in heaven yackin' it up; from this post it sounds as though they'd get along swimmingly!

Blessed indeed . . .

Anita said...

What a wonderful story to start my day! Your husband is a good listener...I hope you enjoyed your biscuits.

Mac n' Janet said...

You're a lucky lady to be surrounded by such love and beautiful memories.

Marilyn Miller said...

Yes, to be surrounded by wonderful men would be a blessing. What a handsome grandpa you had both outside and inside.

Sue said...

I picked a wonderful day to visit you as I love this post. I too remember both of my grandfathers very well. I was lucky, mine lived long enough that my children remember them a little. My dad has lived long enough to see his grandchildren become adults as well. There is nothing like the memories of generations.

Kirsten Steen said...

Ok. Really going to have to try the biscuits with peanut butter and syrup! And what amazing eyes your grandpa had. What a lovely post.
Kirsten

knitalatte said...

Relyn,
What a beautiful memory you shared with us. I'm a bit teary eyed after reading this. You deserve the best and I'm glad to hear you're surrounded by loving and caring family members that take good care of you.
Hugs,
Karen
P.S. Just a fyi; it is most fun to squish the hexipuffs between thumb and forefinger. so soft!

S. Etole said...

What a wonderful heritage.

Roban said...

Oh, Relyn, you are blessed! And Sloane is, too, because she has inherited these same great men in her life.

Unknown said...

Relyn, you are so blessed to have had a wonderful grandpa, dad and now husband who think of you as you are...special and worthy of receiving special things. Loved this post!

Jeanne said...

I love all of your postings.
Blessings

joyce said...

What a wonderful tribute, I enjoyed reading it. Again, a similarity, my dad'd dad died when I was 18 and my dad becomes more and more like him. Thank you for sharing this.

Gigi Thibodeau said...

Memories to treasure--old ones and new ones--of the wonderful men in your life. Love this beautiful post! xo

Jeanie said...

It always saddens me that Rick never knew my parents or grandparents. It's very clear that Jeffrey has been listening. What a gem!

Angie Muresan said...

This is such a sweet post. For a women to have wonderful men like your grandpa and your dad and your husband in her life, is indeed a beautiful blessing.

Oldies, but Goodies